Ilaria Caloi is Lecturer in Aegean Prehistory at the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice since 2018. She has obtained her Degree in Aegean Archaeology at the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice (2003), her MPhil at the Italian Archaeological School in Athens (2007) and her PhD at the University of Florence (2010). After her PhD, she carried out her research activities abroad (Bristol, Strasbourg, Louvain-la-Neuve, Cincinnati) in order to experience different cultural scenes and to achieve new approaches to Aegean studies. Results obtained have been published in four monographs (two co-authored), three edited books, more than 40 papers and three reviews. She took part to more than 30 conferences and she organized three international conferences.
Since 2000 she has been working on Crete, where she acquired excellent expertise in Minoan pottery during her collaboration with the Italian Archaeological School of Athens (Phaistos, Kamilari, Ayia Triada), the French School of Athens (Malia, Dreros) and the UCLouvain (Sissi). From 2014 to 2018 she also worked at Pyla-Kokkinokremos in Cyprus in collaboration with the UCLouvain.
- 2018 : National Scientific Habilitation for Associate professorship (2018-2026).
- 2010 : PhD thesis in History and Civilisations of Ancient World, University of Florence (Italy). Title of the PhD dissertation: I depositi ceramici MM IB-MM IIB dalla necropoli di Kamilari nella Messarà (Creta) (supervisors: Prof. Anna Margherita Jasink and Prof. Filippo Carinci).
- 2007 : MPhil Degree (cum laude), Aegean Prehistory and Protohistory at the Italian Archaeological School at Athens (Rome).
- 2003 : Master of Arts, Archaeology and Conservation of Cultural Heritage at the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice (Italy).
- 2002 : Bachelor of Arts, Conservation of Cultural Heritage at the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice (Italy).
- The Cretan Bronze Age ceramic productions, with specific attention to the chronological, technological and functional aspects, and their connection with social and/or ritual practices;
- The archeology of death, with particular reference to the study of the Cretan tholos tombs of the Ancient and Middle Bronze Age, and especially of the Kamilari cemetery in Southern Crete;
- The reception of archaeological discoveries in the Aegean and of the Aegean art in the culture of the 20th century, with particular attention to the textile productions of the Spanish artist Mariano Fortuny y Madrazo (Granada, 1871-Venice, 1949).
Current field projects
- Since 2016: Principal investigator for the project: ‘Renovating the First Palace of Phaistos during the Middle Minoan IIA phase (18th c. BC). Combining architectural and ceramic phases’ (Italian Archaeological School at Athens).
- Since 2018: Principal investigator for the project: ‘La tecnologia ceramica a Festòs (Creta) nel Medio Minoico IIA (1800-1750 a.C.): l’introduzione della wheel-throwing technique e le sue implicazioni socio-politiche’ (Ca’ Foscari University of Venice).
- Since 2017: Co-director of the project: ‘The Malia Palace’ (Dir. M. Devolder, École française d’Athènes) for the complete edition of structures and materials from the Malia Palace excavations by O. Pelon.
- Since 2019: Collaborator in the project “Study and publication of the Sissi necropolis" with A. Schmitt and S. Déderix (Sissi Archaeological Project, dir. J. Driessen, UCLouvain and Belgian School of Athens).
Choice of publications/conferences (5 max.)
- Devolder, M. and I. Caloi 2019. Le Bâtiment Dessenne et les abords Sud-Ouest du palais dans l’établissement pré- et protopalatial de Malia (Études Crétoises 37), École française d’Athènes, Athènes.
- Girella, L. and I. Caloi 2019. Kamilari. Una necropoli di tombe a tholos nella Messarà (Creta) (Monografie della Scuola Archaeologica di Atene 29) Roma-Atene.
- Caloi, I. 2013. Festòs Protopalaziale. Il Quartiere ad Ovest del Piazzale I. Strutture e ritrovamenti delle terrazze mediana e superiore, Antichistica 3 (Archeologia 1), Edizioni Ca’ Foscari, Venezia 2013.
- Caloi, I. 2011. Modernità Minoica. L'arte Egea e l'Art Nouveau: il caso di Mariano Fortuny y Madrazo, Periploi 4, Firenze University Press, Firenze 2011.
- Borgna, E., I. Caloi, F. Carinci and R. Laffineur 2018. Organised conference - 17-21 April: MNEME. Past and memory in the Aegean Bronze Age (17th International Aegean Conference), University of Udine and Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, International Congress (82 speakers and 20 posters).